March 11, 2020, 2:00 pm
Covington City Hall
Krystal Onaitis, Covington City Manager, opened the planning meeting.
Organizations in attendance or via phone conferencing, included: CSB, DSS, HCA, Carillion, Local VDH, VDEM, Alleghany County Administrator, Covington City Manager, Local Emergency Managers, Sheriff’s office & Regional Jail, Covington Police Dept & EMS, Covington and Alleghany County School Superintendents
Topics discussed were:
- There is continually updated information available on the CDC and VDH websites.
- VDH will hold a COVID-19 Information Session at the Alleghany Highlands Regional Library on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 10:30 a.m. There are also seven other sessions scheduled in surrounding areas. These meetings are needed to calm fear or panic.
- The Coronavirus focus is mitigation, it is now in Stage II because it has reached the U.S. and Virginia.
- Everyone should live their life. Thoroughly wash hands, tele-work if it can be done, stay home if sick, practice social distancing.
- There were no cases of the virus in the Alleghany Highlands as of March 11, 2020.
- There is screening for everyone that needs to enter LewisGale Hospital Alleghany. This is also in place at Stonewall Jackson Memorial Hospital. The hospital staff is prepared if there would be a case to isolate a patient.
- Testing kits are available locally for testing if criteria is met for testing. If testing kits are depleted they will be replenished. Based on VDH information.
- The City is formalizing a COOP Plan that is in depth. The City continues to deep clean. The County’s plan is similar. Schools in both localities are doing the same.
- The Regional Jail is planning for inmates with regard to isolation if it would become needed. Their Medical staff is putting procedures in place.
- City Schools are doing surveys for internet access in homes, etc.. The City is creating plans for study lessons, student meal plans and who would be able to work from home. The County is working on the same for distance learning and providing meals.
- Facts are being posted from VDH.
- Discussion was held regarding a Facebook live in conjunction with the VDH meeting at the Regional Library on Tuesday. There will also be local information via television & radio.
- Plan for Task Force is to re-convene sometime next week after Town Hall, Task Force options are in person and conference call.
- Everyone was reminded of VDH holding the COVID-19 Information Session at the Alleghany Highlands Regional Library on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 10:30 a.m.
The meeting was adjourned.