The Highlands COVID-19 Task Force, Update on Efforts
Update on Efforts & Resources Friday, April 17, 2020 REVISED, April 20, 2020
The Highlands COVID-19 Task Force, now meets on Tuesday afternoons to allow the localities to participate in Roanoke Valley and Regional Virginia Department of Health Update Call and a Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) Call on Coronavirus Response Efforts in Region VI.
This week there continues to be low numbers of positive cases reported in the Highlands, through testing. The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) has now also began communicating with healthcare providers to disseminate information on clinical diagnosis to aid in treatment and recovery time due to the lag time in testing.
VDH and CDC guidance remains unchanged in that, all are encouraged to stay home as much as possible, maintain good personal and communal space hygiene, practice social distancing and wear cloth masks when out in public spaces – where social distancing could be compromised, i.e. grocery stores, pharmacies, doctor’s offices, etc.
The Highlands COVID-19 Task Force also wants to let each and every resident and business owner how we can remain #HighlandsStrong during this time by sticking together, practicing kindness and compassion.
Below are some FAQs on efforts and resources to assist us as we remain #HighlandsStrong:
I need food…
• Text “food” to 877-877 to see food distribution sites for information on Covington and Alleghany school systems feeding programs.
• Call 1-855-635-4370 to see if you are eligible for emergency SNAP benefits.
• Contact the Salvation Army in Downtown Covington at 540-962-6206 for local assistance on emergency feeding programs.
I am worried I have coronavirus/COVID-19…
• Call the Alleghany County/City Covington Health Department at 540-962-2173 for general information on public health.
• To reach the regional COVID-19 VDH hotline, call 1-855-945-8378.
• Call an urgent care center or your primary care doctor if you have shortness of breath, fever and dry cough.
I need help staying in my home…
• Evictions will not be executed in Virginia from March 17th through April 26th, according to the Courts. Your landlord cannot legally force you out of your home without an eviction.
• If your landlord is threatening to do so, call 1-866-LEGL-AID (1-866-534-5243) for Virginia Legal Aid.
I am worried about my mental health and/or addiction issues…
• Call the Alleghany Highlands Community Services Board at 540-965-2100 for clinic appointments Monday-Friday 8:30AM to 5:00PM or 1-800-446-0128, for emergency appointments and services after hours.
• For intellectual/developmental disabilities call 540-965-2100.
• The National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-784-2433.
• For LBGTQ issues please text 804-793-9999 (it is confidential).
Someone is making me feel unsafe in my home…
• Call 911. This is an emergency, even if you know the person well.
• Women can call Safe Homes at 540-9653237, for assistance.
• The National Hotline for Domestic Abuse is 1-800-799-7233.
I am a senior who needs help at my home….
• Contact the Alleghany County/City of Covington Department of Social Services at 540-965-1780. Call 211 for the state resource hotline for all assistance programs and to speak with a state representative on support programs that may be available.
• Contact the Salvation Army in Downtown Covington at 540-962-6206.
• We also encourage seniors in need to contact their local church for support and/or assistance as many have community programs.
I have lost some or all of my income because of the coronavirus pandemic….
• Call 1-866-832-2363 to apply for unemployment benefits.
• Call the local Virginia Employment Commission Office at 540-962-1151 for localized assistance with career counseling.
I need supplies for my baby/child…..
• Call 211 for the state resource hotline for all assistance programs and to speak with a state representative on support programs that may be available.
• Call 833-782-2229 to ask about free diapers.
• Contact the Alleghany County/City of Covington Department of Social Services at 540-965-1780.
• We also encourage mothers in need to contact their local church for support and/or assistance as many have community programs.
I need assistance with at home school instruction for my school age child/children….
• Call Covington School Board Office at 540965-1400.
• Call Alleghany County School Board Office at 540-863-1800.
For more information on COVID-19, the following online resources are recommended, CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/, or the VDH website: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/. For those without internet, VDH has a regional hotline 1-855-949-8378, as well as a state hotline, 1-877-ASK-VDH3.
argumentative essays writing help
chloroquine buy plaquenil uses
hydroxychloroquine warnings hydroxychloroquine biden